The Arts Center recently finished training a group of Traveling ArtsReach Program volunteers and launched this free arts enrichment program at local elementary schools in January 2019, with a goal to serve 100 elementary classrooms by May 2019. This arts enrichment program will give students in grades 1-5 the opportunity to learn about “Master Artists” as they increase their artistic literacy.
How it All Began
The Arts Center was awarded a SC Arts Commission Arts in Education Grant for a new program called the Traveling ArtsReach Program or “TAP”.
This new prototype is a visual arts exposure and enrichment program that will address the lack of opportunities for underserved youth to experience professional visual art instruction in Jasper and Beaufort counties.
How it Works
The Arts Center is training part-time volunteers to present 5 easy but impactful visual arts lessons to students in grades 1-5 across Beaufort and Jasper Counties. After training, volunteers will begin going into the schools starting in January 2019. Classroom teachers will make a request for their class and the Arts Center will match that request with an available volunteer. The volunteer will teach the classes at no cost to the school. TAP Brochure!
All curriculum and supplies will be provided and mileage will be reimbursed. Volunteers will work with one elementary class at a time but may have several sessions in one day. The program is funded through May 2019 but the Arts Center hopes to secure funding to continue and further develop the program into 2019-2020 school year.
- Serve 100 elementary classrooms by May 2019 (Grades 1-5).
- Provide free arts enrichment experiences to area Elementary School Classrooms.
- Increase students’ artistic literacy and foster art appreciation with lessons that involve iconic/important works of art.
- Students will learn proper use and care of art materials.
- Students will learn and use new and creative techniques to assist in problem solving and these skills are applied to other core curriculum subjects in school.
To Learn More
To learn more about the program, to become a sponsor or a volunteer instructor, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Special thanks to our TAP sponsors; South Carolina Arts Commission, St. Francis Thrift Shop and the Hilton Head Area Association of REALTORS.